Monday, September 26, 2005

The Nobel Conference

Practical note: I have to, unfortunately, undo the comments section again because of all the shameless advertising that's going on there. Don't know how to fix it, so it's best to throw it away, right?

Whew. I'm just about done with med school secondaries today. I got the Yale application sent today, and I'm sitting down Wednesday morning with the chapel vicar, who graduated from Yale Divinity School, so that I can learn a little bit about Connecticut and the University. Considering that my experience with New England consists of visiting Harvard and Princeton a few summers ago, it might be good to know what I'm signing up for. I suppose it's a little different than Minnesota. Doesn't mean I have to become a Patriots fan, though.

As the title suggests, the Nobel Conference is starting at Gustavus. Tomorrow at 10:00 the lectures start, and I believe the first one is by Wolfgang Ketterle, a recent Nobel laureate in physics. I plan on attending, just to see how much I can understand. My physical chemistry professor had one of the speakers when she was at Cal Tech, and she says he's an incredible speaker.

Since 99% of Gustavus students don't attend the conference (as opposed to only 76% who drive sober) tonight will be hell in the residence halls. I plan on staying in the library doing chemistry until at least midnight to avoid it, just because I really can't deal with it tonight. Between all the things that are stressing me out right now, I just don't want to babysit. Is that so wrong?

At any rate, I hope to get something out of the conference this year, since I haven't gone in two years. Gotta run for tonight, but I expect I should be able to post during the next couple of nights. Thanks to everyone who's stuck with Boyumblog.