Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A Slightly More Regular Boyumblog

This being senior year of college for me, I suppose it's time to start reflecting on some of the things I have learned during this whole "transition into adulthood" thing. I suppose that's really what a blog is all about, anyway--to think in a semi-public, semi-private way.

That being the case, I'm going to try to post something here at least once a week. I'm not promising much; it might be an experience I have had, a random thought, or -- what's always fun to read about -- some venting. Also, because of the change in raison d'etre of the blog, I'm going to stop allowing comments. You can always email me if you want (eboyum@gac.edu). But the main point is for me to be able to look back on what I've written later.

The past two weeks I've been at Gustavus for CF training. A "CF" is an RA at a college where nothing is allowed to be the same as at any other. Our spring break is always three to four full weeks after everyone else's in the country, we have shorter semesters and a "J-term," the College does not believe in "credit hours." Freshman Comp has given way to the "First Term Seminar." We have a "writing across the curriculum" program that requires professors in all subject areas -- from English to math -- to teach students how to write. Some do better than others.

CF training went well, but 10-14 hour days of learning college policy are never fun. As my sociology professor pointed out this morning, the College seems "fluid" in enforcing some major offenses and Draconically enforce minor ones. I could give examples, but that would be breaching confidentiality, and for it I might be sent a mean letter by the Dean warning me that my free cable will be reduced by one channel. On the other hand, at least I didn't leave trash in my bin over summer break, which could have led to a $50 fine.

I don't mean to sound like this is something peculiar to Gustavus. Is legislating whether homosexuals can "marry" or only "unite" really more important than passing the homeland security budget? To medical school admissions committees, doesn't someone's reason for wanting to be a doctor supercede their reasons for wanting to become a medical student? Yet, both parties have always supported the politicking game, and the AMCAS application still demands that students explain "why they want to go to medical school."

I saw a neat advertisement this morning. Its premise was that John Roberts, Bush's first Supreme Court nominee, does not believe in the right to privacy because he opposes abortion and therefore can't be trusted to uphold the Constitution. However, since when has privacy been an issue in the abortion debate? Remember last year's "I've had an abortion" t-shirts? Folks, we're not being honest with ourselves. We believe in certain things but either we don't know why, or we're embarrassed enough by our reasons that we are hesitant to share them.

Honesty. That's what all this comes down to. I think that, at a fundamental level, American (and perhaps other countries') society, the entire higher education system, and many individuals themselves are dishonest -- about their rules, about their priorities, about themselves.